Saturday, April 9, 2011

How Jou Like Me Naoh!?!

Hell you guys, this is a lot harder than I thought. It's really hard to find the time, between work and hanging out with all my awesome friends. Motherfuckers.

H is for Headphones! Headphones is David Bazan and Tim William Walsh of Pedro the Lion, and Frank Lenz of Starflyer 59. While this trio wouldn't be recognized by anyone else as a Superband, that's the way I look at it. I followed the projects of David Bazan and TW Walsh for a long time, and couldn't get enough! And Starflyer 59 is pretty exceptional as well. Both Pedro the Lion and Starflyer 59 tend towards guitar and drums rock. Headphones however is nothing but electronics, drums, and vocals. So right there, I was fucking sold.
Also, songs like this sure don't hurt.
I Never Wanted You by David Bazan
It's not your conventional electronic act either. Some of the melodies are fucking pheonomenal, but it might take a bit for most to get into it, because it is pretty minimalist. Bazan's lyrics and delivery pull it all together though. I can't get enough of this guy. Listen to Gas and Matches. Okay look, you and I both know what's coming next: "It reminds me of video game music."
It shouldn't be that surprising, I'm a classic gamer, and up until around the Playstation era, any music found in a video game was likely 100% synthesized. That's just how it worked, and half the reason I'm more into the old school games anyway.
Listen to Natural Disaster, too. It's pretty great. Ignore the Disneyland video. I don't know what the deal with that is.

Edit:
I don't know how I managed to review Headphones without linking this song. Pretty dark subject matter, and I'd like to say I can't relate. But I'm pretty sure it's common knowledge that I've been stepped on before... a lot. When faced with such flagrant disregard for your feelings, it's hard not to be fucking livid.

Unfortunately, Headphones seems to have been a one time deal, and on top of that, Pedro the Lion split up, and while David Bazan is still touring, I don't think he's put out any new records in a couple years. Starflyer 59 put out an album last year though, and here's proof!

Well, I'm all caught up for now... time to go do something with my Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment