Friday, April 15, 2011

Let's do this.

Like it's any surprise, I'm gonna geek out at length about something nerdy again.

L is for Liam Lynch! Probably best known for MTV's Sifl and Olly Show, as well as his album Fake Songs, featuring the track United States of Whatever. We're clearly here to talk about the latter, but I think more introduction is in order. So those are the things you probably know him for, but Liam Lynch has had his part to play in a ton of stuff, and it's possible you may have missed his involvement. For starters, he did some directing work for the music video for Tribute, by Tenacious D. Plus further involvement with Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny. Yeah.
Then there's that theme song for Clone High he wrote. No big deal.


Here's the extended version, because it actually is a big deal.
Also worth mentioning, the song was written by Lynch, but performed by the Abandoned Pools.

There's a ton more, too! He directed the UK music video for Times Like These by The Foo Fighters, co-wrote a song for the movie School of Rock, and directed Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic.

So now that I'm done being a fanboy, let's get back to his music. As the name suggests, Fake Songs is a collection of songs done in the style of other musicians. I especially enjoy Fake David Bowie Song, Fake Depeche Mode Song, and Fake Björk Song. Aside from the "Fake ___ Song" titles, there's a decent selection of original works. There's a song featuring guest vocals by Jack Black, and one two featuring guest drums by Ringo Motherfucking Starr!

Liam Lynch is all about DIY, and I think that's what makes this album so great; it wasn't made to move units. The guy pretty much put the album together for fun instead of worrying about how it would be received. Incidentally, United States of Whatever charted top 10 in the UK.

Here's a quotation from the liner notes of Fake Songs:
"Everything on Fake Songs was made at home on my computer. For me, it's those late night (and into the morning) hours that fuel the most creative fun. I'm a little slap-happy and sleep deprived... alone in my house and free to make something silly or weird or just interesting. I can put down any artistic ego and not try to be cooler or smarter or better than anyone. It's freedom. No rules. It's like pretending and playing when you were a kid... there is no wrong way to do it... it's whatever you want.

The sound alike songs on this album are out of respect. Obviously, to try to capture the musical and lyrical style of an artist, you have to listen to that artist a great deal. I see them as charicature songs, and they are meant as compliments.

I hope you all like this stuff and that something makes you laugh. That's the point of all this. I just hope to make you smile."

On the topic of fake songs, I found a pretty rad Fake White Stripes Song that didn't appear on the album.
So Liam's still writing music and making amusing videos, and you can check out his website for more info.

5 comments:

  1. actually, there are two that ringo guest stars on. "cuz you do" and "try me" i do believe he played on. i think i saw that on the dvd or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope that was an intentional misspelling of touche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No way, I was trying to hit on Stu!

    ReplyDelete