Friday, April 8, 2011

Damn damn damn damn I suck at this.

Does anybody mind that this is like, 3 days late? I'll have you know I'm very easily distracted.

Now D could be for Depeche Mode, or Daft Punk, or Death Cab for Cutie, or Deftones, but I'm sure everybody's heard that. D could be for DIO, or Dimmu Borgir, or Dark Tranquillity, but everybody who is metal has heard that. D could be for Dir En Grey(nsfw), but everybody who is japanese (or a Japanophile) and metal has heard that. So no, I'm gonna talk about Doctor Octoroc.

Doctor Octoroc is a chiptune artist. I know not everyone who reads this is a hopeless geek like I am, so I'll explain. Chiptunes are songs made using the sound processors from old gaming systems. The artists are thusly working with the limitations of the hardware to create some pretty sweet retro gaming style beatz. Wikipedia is a lot more in-depth, if this concept intrigues you. Anyway, Doctor Octoroc is probably best known for his Christmas collection, 8-Bit Jesus. I'm gonna focus on 8-Bit Jesus, 'cause it's really all I know, and I'm already running way too late to do any research.
So each song is a classic christmas carol done in the style of a classic video game, usually with a pun-laden monicker such as "Carol of the Belmonts."
Mirth!
If you pay close attention, and have a pretty good background in NES gaming, you'll appreciate how closely all of these songs resemble classic tunes from childhood games! Nerd glee! That's my take on that!

If you find this music at all interesting, check out Doctor Octoroc's site! He's got a couple more releases out, including a St. Patrick's Day themed album!
Additionally, here's a great site for chip music in general.

Well, that's that. Be sure to take another look at Saturday's post. I've added the other review I promised.

Originally I'd planned on catching up on all my posts tonight, but no such luck. Try not to be too angry, the failure is punishment enough.

Later, smooth operator.

No comments:

Post a Comment