Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gonna run out of steam at this rate.

Going easy on myself this time... just gonna flap my lips about a band that I'm gay for.

G is for Grandaddy. The first thing I noticed about Grandaddy was how expansive their songs tend to be. More often than not, a song will have a pretty extensive interlude with no vocals, just focusing on the melodies and chord progressions. Also, I can't say it enough; I love synth. Grandaddy is pretty much 100% rock with keyboards, and the interludes often remind me of some cross between a symphony and a Super Nintendo game. I'll throw out a few examples so you can get a picture of what I'm getting at.
At my Post from "Excerpts from the Diary of Todd Zilla"
The Final Push to the Sum from "Sumday"

These guys are great. A lot of the songs are a little on the depressing side, and I'll be honest, that's actually what I look for in an artist. If a song can evoke an emotion from me, then all the better. It's not all sad shit though. They have some pretty upbeat songs, and truthfully, they're some of my favorites too! Take a listen to Now it's On.



I enjoy the hell out of that song... and the orchestral hits remind me of Starfox. Lol
Also, check out this sweet fan vid for Pull the Curtains!



I'd like to emphasize again how much this stuff reminds me of video game music. Listen to Florida, too. That song makes me lol.
Grandaddy songs tend to have a recurring theme of disregarding the machinations of modern society and appreciating nature.
Have a listen to The Group Who Couldn't Say.
You should also hear The Warming Sun.
The Warming Sun reminds me of me, because I suck at girls.

In summary, go buy all their records. Right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment