Saturday, April 23, 2011

One time I saw a ghost.

Off topic, I know... If you don't get the reference (though I'm not sure you want to) check out "My Year With the Dragon" on Sick Animation. Incidentally, this post does relate to flash animation though.

O is for Of Montreal, a very cool band that I discovered whilst checking out Kangaroo Alliance. They did a particularly fantastic music video for Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games. Listening to it now, the vocals make me think of Phoenix a whole lot.
But after hearing more of their music, Of Montreal strikes me somewhat differently. They've done some pretty interesting and unexpected things. I've found myself especially enjoying their 2010 record, False Priest.

That's not to say it's perfect, there are some songs that I just don't get. Such is the case for a lot of their albums, too. While that sort of inconsistency is hard to overlook in a band (at least for me it is) I keep coming back, because the stuff I do like, is remarkable. Like my new favorite song, Our Riotous Defects.
To be fair, after a few more listens, I'll probably get into all of it a lot more. I tend to veer towards more depressive music, and the problem may be that some of their stuff is really upbeat. I could probably use more of that anyway.
Here's another great song from False Priest.

Some of the lyrics are pretty great, like "I don't want to catch you with some other guy's face under your eyelids."
False Priests definitely strikes me as the most interesting, though Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? is also fucking monumental. Of Montreal has been pumping out albums forever like crazy though, so there's probably more that I'm overlooking. You should definitely check them out for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment