Sunday, April 17, 2011

Not new, but new to you.

Now then, this should be an interesting one... There are a lot of very well known artists starting with the letter N, and I've made it pretty clear that I'm trying to review something fresh, instead of just telling you about bands you already listen to. Well, this is about to get pretty contradictory.

N is for Neil Young. Yeah, there's no way you've heard of Neil Young before, right? Well, we're going to be focusing on Neil Young's relatively underrated and unknown 1982 release, the electronic album, Trans.

That's right, Neil Young made an electronic album, and it's really no surprise that an audience who loved him for is folk rock music would be put off by such a drastic change of direction. The thing is though, there is something for everybody on this album. It does have a couple really good songs that aren't overly synth-laden, but I guess most people weren't too focused on those. I for one think it's a really interesting blend of styles, and I don't know if we'll ever see anything else like it. Obviously that's a pretty biased statement, since I'm a huge geek for electronic music in general, but I'm confident there's a great deal of merit to it nonetheless. So the songs that conventional Young fans took issue with were the ones that belong on Optimus Prime's iPod.
I am a fan of Neil Young's standard fare, but Trans was just a complete anomaly to me, and it definitely stands out as the most compelling in my mind. I hope you all enjoyed this, or at the very least, went "Holy Crap! Neil Young made what?"

I'd like to point out that I added another half to my Liam Lynch review, and put another song on my Headphones review. Check 'em out if you haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment