Sunday, April 24, 2011

Something I've been waiting for.

Seriously, all month I've been waiting for this one, and I'm probably the only person that's actually stoked about these guys too. A sad fact of life.

S is for Starship Amazing. While not technically chiptunes artists, these guys draw a lot of inspiration from video game music, and the result is something I couldn't possibly be happier with. I mean, goddamn!
(Everybody's Got) A Case Of The Glitches by Starship Amazing

8-BIT BONER!
I could listen to that song on loop for probably the better part of a week.

Over the past two years or so I've been listening to a lot of these guys. I'm not going to say it's for everyone, or even most people. It's all electronics, no vocals, and quite goofy at times. Nevertheless, they're one of my favorite bands to just throw on while I'm walking or whatever. Obviously it appeals to the gargantuan gamer nerd in me, and beyond that, there are some things you can get out of the electronic music medium that are otherwise impossible.
You've Got the Cash Reserves of a Tortilla by Starship Amazing

Also, clever titles are clever.
So who is Starship Amazing and where do they come from?
Starship Amazing are Derek and Calvin, and they come from Anchorage, Alaska. My first exposure to their music was via Derek's video project, The Happy Video Game Nerd.
HVGN all started as a single video, playing off the style of the Angry Video Game Nerd, but praising a great and underrated game instead of admonishing a shitty one. I don't think it was intended as a series, but it was solid, and people liked it.
After seeing some of his reviews, the musical influences become more apparent. Starship Amazing has a whole album that reminds me of Earthbound, and some of their dark, moodier songs would not be at all out of place in a survival horror game.
In case it's not yet apparent, this is just going to be some decent sized text blocks of me gushing, punctuated by soundcloud players until I run out of favorite songs to show you.
I Can Do the Math, I've Done the Calculations by Starship Amazing

To reiterate, I know not everybody's going to want to add this stuff to their collection. I don't know what to say on the subject... I mean, it's obvious why I like it, but that's not going to help somebody who's never learned the Konami code.
Yes, a significant degree of the appeal is in the nostalgia that the plethora of beautiful beeps provides, but I'm just so inured... I fail to see how beeps are not superior in all ways to any conventional instrument.
Guitar? Cello? Who cares? Give me Beeps!
Ya Burnt by Starship Amazing

I'm sure most of you have lost interest by now... I mean, if geeky electronic music isn't your thing, why read about it, right? It's kind of like if I were to start reading the sports section. I'd probably die.
Well, if you are still with me, check this one out too.
A Vile Climate by Starship Amazing

Well, thank you for bearing with me through that. I'm so stoked to be finally doing this one, so I hope somebody enjoyed it. If you like what you heard, check out their site. The albums for sale are super cheap, and there are a bunch of free ones too, including a rather entertaining but none too serious rap album. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment